The Nation Tutoring Program is a government funded catch-up scheme designed to help students who return to school in September of 2020.
The program, funded by the £1bn school catch-up grant announced by the government last month, will provide high quality tutoring to state-maintained primary and secondary schools.
The funding comes following concerns about how children, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, will be able to return to normal school curriculums following the COVID-19 pandemic. The National Tutor Program hopes to provide these students with extra learning opportunities, to make sure they are able to continue their education as scheduled.
A Breakdown of the Funding
Of the £1bn government grant, £350 million pounds are allocated to in-school tuition. There are four organisations responsible for allotment of this money: The Sutton Trust, The Education Endowment Foundation, Nest and Impetus.
The funding will be delivered through two main channels.
£175 million pounds is assigned to NTP Partners. This funding will be used to provide tuition for state-maintained schools, to organise 1-on-1 and small group classes. The plans suggest that up to 75% of the cost for these tutors will be paid from the government grant, while the other 25% will be covered by the school. This funding is put in place, with hopes of being able to reach the most disadvantaged pupils.
£175 million pounds is assigned to NTP Coaches. This section of funding is allocated to employ recent graduates to run intense catch-up sessions for pupils.
The Sutton Trust and EEF are working hard to ensure that all tutoring agencies chosen to be NTP Partners are able to provide the highest quality tuition. In order to be considered for the grant, agencies have to apply to be NTP and be included in the list of trusted providers.
There is a variety of criteria which will be taken into consideration such as:
Experience working with schools
Experience working with disadvantaged students
Decisions about which tutoring agencies will be involved in the government funded program have not yet been made.
How can I help?
The Tutors Association are currently building a proposal that the tuition industry should be more heavily involved in providing in-school tuition to students and they would like your help.
In order to help maximise the opportunities for tuition companies involved in the program during the 2020-2021 school year, tuition agencies need to demonstrate to the DfE and NTP that they are able to deliver tuition in a safe and professional manner. Making sure that professional agencies, both large and small, are able to show they have a track recorder working with schools and monitoring the effectiveness of their assistance, will help increase the likelihood of funding being assigned to them.
A survey has been created to demonstrate these aspects of tutoring. We need to collect and analyse data to support the aforementioned points as soon as possible. There is a crucial meeting on July 15th, so your participation in this survey is both important and urgent.
A little bit more information about the survey
The information for the survey will be presented to the EEF, The Sutton Trust and the DfE in anonymised and aggregated form, and no individual agencies will be identified. We will also share the results with all those who participate. The survey is short and should not take more than a few minutes of your time to complete. The more compelling the case that we can make, the greater the opportunities for tutors will be. They have also requested some information from us that would help them with their case. The anonymised information we will send is: - The average number of tutors on boarded by companies in the 18/19 school year
The current number of tutors per company, anonymised. (This will show as Company X: 34, Company Y: 72 etc)
The total number of hours tuition delivered per month (aggregated, not per company)
Total number of tutors who teach hours in the following brackets: Up to 200 hours per year, 200 - 400 hours per year, 400 - 800 hours per year, 800+ hours per year
All of this data is totally anonymised and the only people to see this data are us at TC, the Tutors Association, and the EEF when the proposal gets submitted. If any company is uncomfortable with these figures going forward we can leave them out, but the more data the better and this is a really important opportunity for the tutoring industry to show the government that we are an extremely important, experienced and competent resource for them to use both during the Covid recovery and after.
Want to read more blog posts about how to manage your tutoring business? Click here.
Are you looking for a ways to make running your tutoring agency simpler? Try TutorCruncher and shrink your admin workload today.