Online tutoring is one of the perks brought about by the digital age. With the developments of technology, a face-to-face meeting between the tutor and his student is no longer required. There are plenty of applications to use for online instruction. Companies can hire PHP developers to design these applications for them. As we all know, there are already a lot of businesses that utilize this kind of teaching. Now, what would be online instruction's impact on workplace productivity?
Workplace productivity refers to the efficiency of a company's workers in producing their output. Generally, it means that the more work that a staff does in a certain amount of time, the more productive he is. Now that we've set our definition of workplace productivity, let's take a look at the benefits and drawbacks of online tutoring on productivity.
Online tutoring can be used by business managers in teaching his colleagues certain skills that are needed in the company. In this article, online tutoring in the workplace refers to live teaching or saved training videos. Let us take a look at how online instruction can help workplace productivity.
- Easy access A business manager need not teach each worker the skills needed in their workforce. He can create videos explaining these skills. Each of these "lessons" can be saved for access at a later time by anyone needing them. Whenever a colleague needs support in his work, he does not need to wait for his manager to teach him face to face. He can refer to the "lessons" that are provided to him online.
- Energy and time saving. Online tutoring saves energy for both parties - learner and the teacher - because they don't have to wait for each other. As soon as the learner is ready, he can access the lessons at his convenient time and place. This is even more helpful for workers with remote jobs because they don't need to travel just to be trained. An Internet connection is all that's necessary.
- Flexibility The trainer and the trainee do not need to follow rigid rules regarding the lessons. They need to cover what is needed for their skills training. Both parties can decide which areas they need to focus more on and which ones not to include. Feedback is also made available for online tutoring. There are various kinds of tutoring software that will help both the trainer and trainee in discussing their lessons.
- Personal touch. A face-to-face interaction may not be required for online tutoring, but the parties involved can interact in real time. The trainer can quickly provide feedback and response during their online interaction while deciding the proper techniques on how the trainee can better understand the lessons.
Although online tutoring provides convenience and flexibility to both the trainer and trainee, it also comes with some drawbacks. If you are a business manager considering online tutoring for training your employees, you might want to look at its downside.
- Possibility of distraction. Online tutoring provides convenience for the trainee, but it also opens the door to distractions. If a trainee allows himself to be distracted, he loses the chance to gain the benefits of online tutoring. The trainer, in this case, will not be able to identify this problem when it happens unlike the physical presence of a tutor. In times of frustrations, the trainer may not be able to offer support.
- Technology-related problems. Not everyone has access to a stable and fast Internet, which can be a hassle for both parties. To enjoy the benefits of online tutoring, a trainee needs to have a fast and reliable Internet for video conferencing or to access "lessons" in the form of videos.
- Unsystematic trainees. People who do not take learning seriously will most likely not derive any learning from this kind of interaction. Sometimes, the lack of motivation and determination may also affect the trainee's ability to learn, which the trainer usually doesn't have control of.
Online tutoring has its pros and cons when used for the purpose of enhancing workplace productivity. Businesses that offer remote jobs can benefit a lot from this kind of coaching as the business manager does not need to teach each new hire the skills required by seeing him face to face. These new employees can be given access to training videos or interact anytime with their supervisors for their training. Companies with remote employees can also hold online meetings or host webinars, which are also forms of online instruction.
With the help of technology, online tutoring can help improve workplace productivity by providing convenient teaching methods. Unfortunately, its benefits may not be enjoyed fully if the trainee lacks motivation or the needed technology.